Friday, March 13, 2009

The Penny

"Marshall, think carefully. He means what he says," Angie said. Her voice was soft but convincing. I stared at the door and then turned to face Pa. 
"What if I can't find her? Then what? It would be like losing her all over again."
"Finding your mother is a choice you must make. Taking on these powers...I'm afraid, isn't." Pa explained.
"What do you mean?"
"The power accepts you. You cannot escape it once it has chosen," he said.
"What makes you think it has chosen me?"
"The penny that you now carry in your pocket..." I instinctively felt for it. 
"How did you know about the penny?" I hadn't told anyone I had taken it.
"There are many things I know about. And it is my job to teach you all of it. The penny has chosen you, Marshall. You are wasting your time if you think you can run away from it." I felt the warm pulsing of the coin and for reasons I couldn't fully understand, I found myself walking back toward Pa. I fell into the chair, my head swimming a little and my limbs heavy as lead.

No comments: